Analysis of most used cancer mobile applications for supporting self-management
datasetposted on 2023-05-25, 14:55 authored by Alessio AntoniniAlessio Antonini, Iman NajaIman Naja
Results of an in-depth analysis of functionalities of cancer mobile applications for supporting self-management.
The analysis focused on apps elected by users. We selected apps that have more than 5,000 downloads on Google Play Store (note that the Apple App Store does not show the number of downloads).
We found 7 applications which fit all the above criteria: Cancer.Net, ChemoWave, CancerAid, Vinehealth, My Cancer Tracker, By Your Side, and ZenOnco. ZenOnco was not considered because it targets the Indian market.
The analysis of functionalities focused on:
- role within the NHS cancer pathway
- burden of care
- development of self-management skills
Furthermore, the analysis identified common kernels of functionalities:
- Self-reported or manually-measured PGHD,
- Automated PGHD collection,
- Reminders to users,
- Warnings / Alerts to users,
- Providing information and educating users,
- Data and Trend analyses,
- Connecting users with HCPs or support network
The analysis is structured as an Excel spreadsheet (CancerAppsFunctionalities_v2.xlsx)